Yesterday, I had the opportunity to teach a friend of mine how to sew. Actually, it was more of a refresher course on how to use her sewing machine and then onto the basics of sewing. Within that small amount of time, I'm reminded of the passion I had for sewing. It gave me great pleasure to see straight and consistent stitches sewn. My friend even sewed samples of all the stitches her machine could produce. I really enjoy seeing the surprised reactions and pleasure that a simple sewing machine produces.
I had another door/opportunity open for me. I will be teaching again at a local fabric store. This time I hope to teach two of my favorite hobbies. One is in the works and I hope to start in another week (as long as folks sign up). The other class...I need to figure out student availability. You know that feeling. There's never enough time to take a class...morning, afternoon, or evening?
I'm still working part-time at my LYS. Still enjoying my fun adventure there and still giving their yarns a good squeeze.
So, maybe I've found the beginnings of a nice balance between my two favorite hobbies.
As always, I'm enjoying life.
5 comments:
I'm so glad you're back to sewing, I missed your updates. Thanks to you I had so much fun making the Simp7161 tote bags, 4 so far and plans for more. Thank you!
And that is what life is all about--enjoying it. Whether you're knitting or sewing--continue to enjoy thos passions, and you will pass them on to others. Good luck.
I had a similar experience helping my sister with her very first sewing project. It reminded me how much fun it is to sew for the first time.
PS - Did you see my new sewing machine? I am beside myself with glee!
Ooh - this reminds me of when I spent some time getting to know my own sewing machine (a long time ago now, it seems) and tried out all the stitches. And it's funny - just yesterday I was tidying up my sewing room (read: procrastinating) and I found a bunch of old samples, including this one with all the stitches! And it gave me that little buzz of excitement about sewing - love that little buzz.
Hope you enjoy the teaching and the blending of favorite hobbies (it sounds great to me).
You asked about joining yarn in the round on double points. This is what I do: When you cast on, cast on 1 extra stitch. If your pattern calls for CO 56 sts, CO 57Now, divide your stitches onto 3 needles, with the extra stitch on the 3rd (last) needle. For 56 sts, I would divide them as 18, 18and 21. Set your needles into a triangle, making sure the sts. aren't twisted. Slip that extra stitch from needle #3 to needle#1
With the 4th needle, knit the extra stitch AND the first stitch of needle#1 together, using both the working yarn and the tail end of the yarn. That's it! On the next round, make sure to knit the first stitch (which has two strands of yarn) together.
Post a Comment