In my cleaning adventure, I've been collecting garments that I've sewn over the years. Some no longer fit or the style no longer suits me. I am finding it's hard to part with them. You know, a piece of clothing that I learned a new technique on or the fabric was a special find (e.g. great quality). Have you been there?
My SWAP
My goal for this month is to develop my own SWAP (sewing with a plan). Right now, I'm sewing at the spur of the moment. If one notices (my pattern review sidebar), I tend to sew clothes with dark colors. Meaning a lot of black. Funny thing, my fabric stash doesn't reflect that. So, I need to start turning over my fabric stash and produce garments that make sense for my new wardrobe. The next few weeks (including my 2nd vacation time), I will spend time sketching the garments I would love to make.
My SWAP will be based on my own sewing schedule and time. I know I will have some BWOF styles and well, they just take a bit more time and thought.
Unlike 2008 and trying to sew two garments a month, 2009 will be based on sewing clothes that make sense, are based on my needs, and expanding my sewing skills. It will be a fun journey.
I think overall, the SWAP will help me keep my blinders on whenever Joann's or Hancock's has a pattern sale. I don't need to be buying patterns that I may not use. I know my BWOF subscription will be enough and keep me challenged. I just wish I would have started this subscription when I started out sewing 4 years ago. Can you imagine the pattern collection I would have?
As for my handmade garments, I need to keep a few. I plan on teaching again this year and I think it would be a motivator to show the students my sewing progression and techniques used. I will have to close my eyes on the other garments and send them to my thrift store. At least someone else could wear my handmade work of art.

2 comments:
I like your resolutions and may borrow one or two. I was way to specific last year on goals and ended up not achieving very many. I am still thinking on my goals.
SWAP... this is a new concept to me, one I may have to adopt. Good resolution!
Post a Comment