Sunday, February 1, 2009

It Starts with a Sketch


I've been spending way too much time on the computer. I've had to wean myself off, so I can spend some quality time in my sewing room.

For my SWAP (non-computer related), I thought would do some rough sketches of some garments that I would like to include in my wardrobe/plan. I had recalled some patterns that were in my stash and started to draw them out. I went back and noted the pattern.

My first rough sketch, the start of my plan


Back in December, I started to go through my fabric stash and cutting swatches to keep a log of what I have. I know I'm not the only one that can't remember every single piece of fabric I've purchased over the last 4 years. I guess that's when you know you have a fabric stash! My swatching is still an on-going task, because as you know, fabric can scatter to the wind inside one's house. Besides my sewing room (closet & armoire), there's a bedroom closet, and the basement.

Well, my fabric swatching is coming in handy right now as I'm matching my fabrics to my sketches. My rough sketches have been transformed into final drawings (not too pretty, but do-able) with final fabric selections attached. I just need to make sure I have enough fabric.

First group of swatches


My final sketch and some fabric swatches



4 comments:

Rhoto said...

'Would love to see the comments you write beside your sketches... Can you tell me the advantage of sketching yourself vs tracing the pattern sketch?
This all sounds like FUN!!
Soft hug,
Rhonda

Faye Lewis said...

Great sketches

Clio said...

Wow. You are seriously multi-talented! There must be extra hours in the day where you live.

BTW - did you see your very own Vogue top featured on Pattern Review in the Best Patterns of 2008? It is always fun to read and article and see someone I know.

http://sewing.patternreview.com/SewingPatterns/BestPatternsof2008

2BSewing: said...

Hey Clio...the extra hours is called lack of sleep and no house cleaning. LOL! I'm the type of person who can't sit still. I always have to be doing something or keep my hands busy. That's probably why I took up knitting, along with all the other hobbies I have.

Yes...I did see my fancy Vogue knit top featured. A fellow sewist beat you to the link. ;-) I feel really honored to be featured twice now. Thanks for pointing that out.