Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Summer Buttericks & Sewing Updates


Three new Butterick patterns caught my eye. This beautiful pleated knit top:

Butterick 5354


And this unlined jacket/top pattern:

Butterick 5360


One more cute top:

Butterick 5356



Does anyone know of any upcoming Butterick pattern sales?


I finally finished my denim herringbone top. The buttonholes and buttons were the last tasks. I only had to sew one test buttonhole and knew the real ones would be fine. After wearing this top at work, I decided I don't care for the slight flare at the sides. So, I will gradually take in about 1/2" at the sides from the lower bust down.

Denim top with the slightly flared side



I found time to practice and play with my CS machine. Since I got my triple stitch down and settings documented, I went ahead and rethreaded for a narrow double left stitch and removed my right needle. As you can see, my test results were not too pretty.

Double stitch disaster



After playing with the tensions, it finally dawned on me that it was a threading issue. So, I rethreaded the machine and my stitches came out perfect. There's a valuable lesson that I learned...hold the thread taut when I pass each thread through its tension disc. Also, when I pass the looper thread through the tension disc, it makes a click sound. I realize that was my main threading problem. Before I thread each needle, I release the foot (drop down) so the tension discs are enabled. This allows me to thread through the guides (above the needles) and the needles better.

Here's the results of my rethreading:

Rethreaded and stitching fine



I finally hemmed my RTW t-shirt after stitching in the round. I used Debbie's technique for pulling the threads to the front of the garment, clipping the front threads and then pulling the garment towards the back and clipping the looper thread. This caused my upper threads to get pulled towards the bottom of the garment and locks the stitches. A valuable technique that can be found on the right sidebar of my blog under My Favorite Sewing Sites. I did manage to do a test run with a knit fabric and it stitched out beautifully. I've been enjoying my time with my cover stitch machine.

Narrow cover stitched hem


On the bling front, I've been making my own stitch markers for my knitting projects. Here I've made some for my friend, Sabine:

My knitting stitch markers


6 comments:

gwensews said...

The denim blouse is great. Very pretty. Love the stitch markers!

Sandra said...

I have my eye on 5360 as well!

Butterick on sale for $.99 at Hancock starting tomorrow (Thu, 14th) til Sunday (17th). HTH ;D

Linda L said...

Nice denim top. You are doing well with coverstitch machine. I have yet to use mine since I acquired it. Some day soon, I hope to get some knit sewing in.

Clio said...

The denim top came out great! I can't wait to see what you do with the coverstitch machine now that you've got it down.

2BSewing: said...

Sandra...thanks for the Hancock sale tip. I went there, but unfortunately they didn't have the new patterns. :)

Ladies...thank you for your complements on my denim top. I hope to post a picture with me modeling it soon. Especially with the alteration change I made to the back. Huge difference in appearance.

Kat said...

I love that top Butterick pattern too! And that denim top is so cute. And...I'm $35 away from taking home my Coverstitch now :) . Actually, I'm in no hurry because of my busy schedule at the moment.