Sunday, May 3, 2009

Another Butterick 5223...in the works


I'm back to sewing garments. I'm working on my TNT Butterick pleated top pattern. I am using a lightweight denim that has a herringbone pattern in the fabric. I have altered the pattern in the back by removing the middle pleat, thus removing about 3 inches all together. The top should be more slender fitting, especially from the side profile. I'm hoping I won't have to take in the sides as well. I will make that call later.

My favorite Butterick pattern with the pleats in the front & back


Here is how I set in the sleeve into the garment. Instead of basting two rows in the sleeve cap, I just ease the sleeve in with my fingers matching notches and seams. I do end up with a lot more pins, but it's easier for me to sew in the sleeve this way.

Pinning & easing in the sleeves by hand


Here's the result of my work. I still need to finish the sleeve/armhole seam (e.g. serging) and give it a good pressing.

Close up of sewn in sleeves


I'm off to the fabric store in search of buttons. Will be back with more pictures later and hopefully a finished garment (and loose threads removed).

Happy Sewing!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

lOVE THIS TOP IN DENIM! GREAT WORK.

Meg said...

Your top looks so good as is, looking forward to seeing it on you.

gwensews said...

This is really a cute top. Love, love, love it!

Faye Lewis said...

I love your little jacket. I remember when you made it the last time. I just cut out the same pattern last night. I'm making it in a floral print, unsure of the fabric type however. I love yours in denim.

Meg said...

I really need to try pin basting one of these days. Looks like I might get better results, like yours.

Patricia said...

That is a very cute top. I am going to try my next sleeve that way.
I made a KS 2759 cardigan after being inspired by yours and LOVE it! Thanks for the recommendation.

Susan said...

That came out beautiful. Thanks for the set-in sleeves pic. That might be easier for me to do.

Kat said...

Susan, that is such a cute top with those pleasts. I love that pattern. Can't wait to see it finished.