Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Crayolas and Soil Separator - Sewing Cloth

Ahhh...did my title catch your attention?

I've been busy looking for some type of media to use when I trace out my patterns on my new sewing cloth. So far, the winner is...Crayola Pencils! There's got to be a good reason why they are preferred by teachers. Let me tell you, I first tried my reliable Ultra Fine Sharpie. Well doggone if that didn't bleed right through the cloth. I know, I've been warned. But I had to try it. Good thing I had paper protecting my cutting table underneath.

I am finding that regular pencils leave behind smears and can get all over my hands. I know, I did recommended it along with my tracing paper in a previous post. As you can see in the pictures...the pencil dust/smears gets everywhere and my pattern weights are turning a dingy color from my grungy fingers.

So far, I have found that the Crayola Pencils works really well with the sewing cloth and my tracing/sketch paper.

Here, you can see I've traced out a sample using one of the Crayola pencils. I did have to trace over the lines twice. That probably had more to do with my eyes getting bad (that's another story).

After I finished tracing, there was hardly any trace of the Crayola pencil markings on the KS pattern sheet underneath.

This will be interesting to see what I can do with 12 colored pencils when I start using this cloth. Good thing I didn't get the 24 pack of colors. lol!

Again, I will keep you posted as I start using this cloth more and more.

3 comments:

Sherril said...

I use the twist up crayola pencils. My red has already run dry. The green one is getting low. Maybe it's time to branch out and use the blue or purple.

2BSewing: said...

Sherril...thanks for the tip on the "twist up" version. I did see them at Staples...now, that they are starting to sell back-to-school items.

Kat said...

Cool tracing method! Thanks for sharing, Susan.