Okay, so my third version of this top is posted. What happened to my second version? ...Stay tuned. I found this lovely raspberry/black/green/yellow/white cotton fabric at G-Street. It is probably a quilting fabric, but I could not pass it up as the color and print is gorgeous for a top. After I pre-washed this fabric, I noticed the fabric width was only 40". Good thing I bought the whole remnant.
After sewing the top, I tried it on and felt the top was too loose fitting. The side profile was a little too poofy for me. I ended up taking in the side seams 1/2". Since the sleeve fits perfectly, I went ahead and took in the side seam at the bottom of the arm opening. About 1" inch below the underarm seam, I started my stitching on the original 5/8" seam line and then gradually stitched away from original seam line and then kept stitching 1/2" from the original seam line down to the bottom of the top. Not bad for a quick fix.
I was flipping through the Butterick pattern catalog and saw a picture of this jacket being modeled. I noticed the pleats for this jacket/top were not stitched down as in my versions. In the pattern instructions, they have you baste the pleats and I interpretted it to mean topstitching down the pleats, eventually. I think if you end up basting your pleats and then removing the basting stitches after the jacket is completed, you'll have a softer looking neckline. I am not sure how it will affect the side profile of the jacket. I guess there is only way to find out when I make my 4th version of this pattern.
Now, what happened to my second version? It's still on Susie-Q. I was doing test buttonholes for this lovely bright color floral pique version and ran into some problems with the buttonholes coming out crooked/wonky. So, I stopped working on this jacket and continued sewing my third version. Now that I have figured out a way to take in the side seams, I will also do the same with this jacket (after I undo the hem). And hopefully, I won't have any problems with my 2nd test buttonholes. If I do, my backup plan is to use huge snaps.
So, this is pretty much what my weekend was all about (besides the fabric shopping). I would have loved to traced out another pattern, but that didn't happen. Focus on finishing these Butterick tops was my priority.
Happy Sewing!
1 comment:
Wow! You've been incredibly busy with your sewing!!! Way to go and love that new top. Have to check out your review. I've been so busy (notice--not "sew" busy :( ) that any of my sewing time is taking a big hit.
I don't even have time to blog, but I'm trying to keep up with bloglines to see what everyone else is doing. Darn life!
Post a Comment