Friday, May 23, 2008

Another Butterick jacket/top or two...I'm on a roll.

I finished hemming my second jacket/top last night. Yes, it's the same Butterick 5223 pattern that I posted on PR last week and received wonderful feedback on. This second version is in a bold print (black, blue, green, yellow, & white) cotton pique. I started making practice buttonholes and decided to call it quits for the night. You know, one shouldn't be sewing buttonholes when one is really tired. And I didn't want another repeat buttonhole fiasco like the first jacket.

I also cut out a third version of this pattern, which I will call a top as I am using a lighter fabric than suggested. For this top, I am using a fabulous cotton print in black, raspberry, olive green, gold, and white colors. Good thing I bought the whole remanent - 5-1/2 yards. After pre-washing, the fabric was only 40" wide.

I thought about taking in the sides of this jacket, to give it a narrower profile from the front, back, and side. A nice lady who works for G-Street (Centreville) commented on how lovely it looks and persuaded me not to. I think she's right.

I'll see how the lighter fabric works with this pattern and I will probably baste stitch the top together. I'll try it on and see if it needs to be taken in. With the hot, humid summer approaching...I may think twice as I'd rather wear loose clothing that can breathe.

And yes, I hope to take a little drive into Centreville to visit my only local G-Street. They are having a 25% sale on most things...now through Monday. And they have a coupon at their website.

Pattern sales alert: Hancock's has McCall's, Butterick, and Vogue on sale starting today through Monday. BTW, my local Hancock store went through a renovation for the last two weeks. Of course, the whole store was rearranged.

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

Can't wait to see your FO! Have a great weekend!

Shannon said...

Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such a nice comment about my jacket. I look forward to seeing your next jacket and the top from the same pattern. You are so right about not sewing buttonholes when you're tired- been there, done that! Serging can get pretty dangerous late at night, too! Ask me how I know!

Shannon F