Monday, May 19, 2008

Butterick 5223 - My Periwinkle Jacket

It's finally done...the jacket and my PR review. This has been a rewarding sewing experience for me. I had an inkling that this jacket would fit me without any alterations. I traced out a size 10 given the finished bust was 44"...plenty of room. The finished jacket length is 20" and it's right in the ballpark of where I prefer my jacket length.

BeckyC and bestgrammy from PR provided me with wonderful suggestions on fixing my buttonhole mess. I ended up hand stitching the zig zags over the frayed bottom edge of the hole. Then I applied the Fray Check. It worked great. And Kat, also from PR, told me about the buttonhole cutter she uses. Now Kat...is that the chisel looking tool that comes with a little blue square cutting mat?

Oh, I found the perfect buttons for this cute jacket. I went down in size and found these awesome 1" buttons at Joann's. It's a great match in color and I love the silver lined holes in the buttons. They really make the jacket stand out. (and yes, in this picture...I'm hiding the frayed buttonhole...waiting to be fixed)




I love the pleats in this jacket. It was worth the extra effort to fold and sew them.

I wore this jacket to my local fabric store and managed to turn some heads. Even the manager did a double take. And I did find a cute floral pique that I might use for another pleated jacket. Now, in my review I was hoping to avoid a fabric that had black or blue color in it. It couldn't be helped. My new pique fabric has a black background with teal blue and lime green flowers. Why can't I find any cool and bright colored fabrics?

My review is posted on PR. You can find the review on my PR listing on the right side of my blog.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

Very cute!!!

Kat said...

So pretty! I love the style and color :) .