Saturday, June 7, 2008

Butterick 4659 - Pink Floral Shirt is completed

My new shirt is finally completed. I sewed in the sleeves, the buttonholes and buttons last night. I tried it on this morning to take pictures. Guess what? It's too hot to wear right now. We are having a heatwave...90's and a bit humid. So for now, Susie-Q will model my new shirt.

I made this shirt in a size 10 with a finished bust of 38 inches and finished hip of 41 inches.

This pink floral cotton print is from my stash. Probably from G-Street Fabrics. The fabric is really soft.

I had fun sewing this shirt. It's rated as "fast & easy" and it truly was. There were only one area where I had to slow down my sewing. It was stitching the neck and shoulder area. This is typical for this kind of collar treatment. I have another shirt pattern on my to do list and I noticed it has the same collar application. This pattern does require a lot of hand-sewing (slip stitching). As you can see, it was well worth it.

Here's the different views on Susie-Q:



** Updated to show additional pictures and pertinent sewing information **


I wanted to show the inside details of my shirt. So, I put the shirt on Susie-Q, inside out. I serged the raw edges of the seams (e.g. princess and side seams) to give the shirt a nice finished look on the inside. And since the fabric is cotton, I wanted to prevent any unraveling of the fabric. After stitching the sleeves in with my sewing machine, I also went back and serged around the sleeve seams.


For the narrow hem, I serged the bottom edges of the shirt. I folded the hem up 5/8 inch and pressed. Then I would tuck the serged edge under and press again. I topstitched the hem. Here's a picture of the curved narrow hem (shirt is inside out):



Here's the inside neckline and shoulder area with the handsewn facings:



Here's a close-up picture of the wing collar:




Update: I finally got around to taking pictures of myself. Here I am posing in my new shirt. This is the correct shade of pink that you are seeing on me (the pictures above were taken with the flash set too high, sorry).

I have posted my detailed review on PR.




4 comments:

Paula Gardner said...

This blouse is beautiful, the hand sewing was worth it!

Kat said...

This is divine!

2BSewing: said...

Paula and Kat...thank you for your kind words and complements. My fellow sewers and my blog have been keeping me highly motivated to sew. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I just bought this- thanks for the heads up on the ease factor! Looks like I'll be going down a size!