Monday, June 9, 2008

My Favorite Pins & Pin Cushion

Once again, it's time to talk about my favorite notions. The topic for today is Pins and Pin Cushions.

I have been collecting pin cushions for as long as I have been sewing clothes for myself. My first one was one that I made back in 2005 when I first started sewing...a heart shaped cushion. A few months ago, Gloria gave me one in the shape of a dress form. That one is really classy and is more for display purposes (and I'm still looking for some fancy "bling" pins to dress it up).

My "workhorse" pin cushion is this fancy one from Dritz. I love the size and the square shape. It holds a lot of pins. And notice the included scissors? Too cool! I ended up buying two of these at Joann's. One is used at my ironing station. The one in the picture is used at my sewing machine. This even fits in the wide harp area of my Viking Sapphire SM.

Now, what's a pin cushion without pins? These are my favorite pins. They are heat resistant glass head pins. I love them because they work with all the different types of fabrics I have used used so far (lightweight fabrics to home dec). I have ironed over them without any problems. They are 1-3/8 inches long. They are extra-fine with a ".5mm" nickel-plated shaft. These are made by Dritz. Other brands that I like and continue to use: Clover (red and white pins) and Collins (yellow pins). The key is the .5mm size shaft. They are very sharp.

While I was teaching my first sewing class, I was showing my students how to pin the pattern piece to their fabric. I borrowed their pins and oh my gosh! I almost had a fit...I had a hard time getting their pins through the fabric. At the next class, I brought in an extra box of red and white Clover pins that I had and gave them to use. Guess what?? They were happy campers. For them, it was a lesson well learned.

Happy Sewing!

9 comments:

Paula Gardner said...

If you can't fine any pre-make bling pins for your dress form pin cusion, why don't you just pop on onto your nearest bead or craft store, buy some Swarovski crystals, and glue them onto the pins? Instant bling!

Adrienne said...

I love the pin cushion! LOL

2BSewing: said...

Paula...wonderful idea! And I do have some flathead pins. Thanks!

Kat said...

Susan, where did you pick up those pins? Are they readily available at Walmart? I usually use the long pins with the colored ball tops since I hate short pins. You are right about other types of pins. Every once and a while I'll grab a pin from my pin box and it's one of those short, cheap pins and I say, "Ewww!" They'll hardly pierce the fabric. Yet another thing to remind my newbie sewing group as I start working on my sewing lesson plans.

2BSewing: said...

Hey Kat...The Dritz white pins and the Collins yellow pins I found at Hancock's. The Clover red and white pins I found at Joann's and also at one of the Sewing Expos I attended. I haven't seen anything at Walmart that comes close to these extra-fine pins. But then my local store is not a Super Walmart and they got rid of their fabric department.

Let me know if you want me to send you a pack or two. I'd be glad to do that for you. :)

Deepika said...

I love that pin cushion. While I don't collect pin cushion, I still love to see them. A friend collects miniature everything, pin cushions too! I have a little handbag pincushion which I simply love. I use it to pin my hand sewing needles to. Paula, great suggestion on making your own "bling" pins. I might have to steal that idea for mine!

Kat said...

Thanks, Susan! I'll let you know. That is a cute pin cushion! My mother does on a lot of "vacations" with my dad when he has his business trips. She picks up very unique pin cushions on occasion. Once she picked up a purple, satin-ey ball, with a fluffy top and a Mardi-gras like head. We named it the Tony-head, or something like that (don't ask why) until the head fell off. Then she bought another one recently which looks like a mini flower pot. That was for my daughter, but she gave it to me and said, "Mom, here you go. When am I EVER going to use this???"

Anonymous said...

Oooh! I, too, love your little square pin cushion w/scissors...what a great idea. I've never seen those at my Joann's, nor can I find one on a Google search. Do you think it's "make-able?" Is the part where the scissors go just an empty space where the four sections come together? Or what? (You never know what's going to REALLY float someone's boat do you!?)

2BSewing: said...

Hi Sandy...I think one could make this pin cushion or a variation of it. The scissors is lodged in an empty space where the corners come together.