Saturday, June 21, 2008

No More Elastic Waist Shorts/Pants for Me

Well, I finally did it. I took the plunge. I attempted my first pair of zippered shorts. It's still in the final sewing stages, but so far I like what I see and feel. It's not a perfect first pair of shorts, but looks be a wearable muslin.

And whatever happened to my elastic waist shorts/capris I was suppose to be making? Ahhhh, I am entitled to change my mind. lol!

I went through my pattern stash several times, looking for an interesting shorts/pants pattern. I had a specific pocket in mind...cargo type as I don't care for side seam pockets. The pattern had to have a front zipper. I kept coming back to my Kwik Sew stash. Here's the end result: KS 2840 - fitted cropped pants and shorts with a shaped, low cut waistband with side pockets stitched directly to the front. View C is perfect! Gotta love shopping in the pattern stash.

For my muslin, I used a cotton twill fabric. No lycra, no stretch. I wanted to see how the fit would be without any help from the fabric.

The love how the curved waistband and side pockets are sewn. I also love the zipper application. So far, it's looking pretty good and the waistband is sitting nicely below my waist. I really like the curved band.

You know...I feel like I have reached a new sewing level. I will post a picture soon...stay tuned for my new sewing adventure.

3 comments:

Adrienne said...

yay!!! you will love them!

Paula Gardner said...

These look like they will be great. I'll be watching for the pictures.

Shannon said...

I've been thinking about making some city shorts. Your success is giving me the encouragement I need. Can't wait to see your finished shorts!

Shannon F